PPNN has a vision to become a national research center that excels in the fields of nanoscience and nanotechnology. PPNN activities are directed towards national progress in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
1. Carrying out activities as a center for research and development in nanotechnology with infrastructure facilities and qualified human resources that capable of producing research works both in the upstream and downstream areas.
2. As a development and training center to prepare human resources with knowledge in the field of nanotechnology in order to increase national competitiveness in the global arena.
3. As a service and consulting center on nanotechnology applications for advanced functional materials in order to accelerate industrial development with an emphasis on the utilization of local natural resources.
4. As a national window in fostering international cooperation in research and development of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
5. Memperkenalkan nanosains dan nanoteknologi kepada masyarakat melalui sejumlah kegiatan magang, workshop, dan pelatihan.
6. Facilitate scientific development and application of nanoscience and nanotechnology to be able to make new products or improve the quality of existing products with a touch of advanced technology based on nanoscience and nanotechnology.
7. Providing advanced material synthesis and characterization equipment to support the development of nanoscience and nanotechnology in Indonesia.
Research Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology or PPNN, Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), is a research center that focuses on activities in the field of science and nanotechnology. PPNN ITB was established in order to respond to complex challenges in this modern era and to reaffirm ITB's commitment to always research, develop and apply the latest science and technology for the advancement of the Indonesian nation. PPNN ITB believes that with the increasing complexity of problems faced by society, an interdisciplinary approach is needed. PPNN ITB, carrying the slogan "Advanced Interdisciplinary Technology for Better Future", is determined to make thorough efforts to nurture a rich and dynamic mix of researchers from every academic background as a powerful vehicle to face future challenges and fully fulfill its mission.
The scope of activities and research at PPNN ITB covers a wide spectrum of scientific and technological disciplines. There are 5 (five) focus areas of research at PPNN ITB: Nanosciences,Nano Medicine,Nano Devices, Nanomaterials for Energy and Industry Purpose , and Nano Biology and Environment. Each field of research has research experts from various faculties and schools at ITB as well as more than 100 students who are actively involved in science and nanotechnology-based research and education activities. PPNN ITB is also equipped with the latest material characterization equipment such as High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscope (HRTEM), Focused Ion Beam (FIB), Scanning Electron Microscope em> (SEM), and Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) to support research, education and community service activities in it.
The long-term output (outcome) of activities at PPNN-ITB are:
- Introduction and understanding of nanotechnology among the general public
- The creation of applied product innovation resulting from studies related to research directions
- Increasing the number of research products and patents that can be utilized by the wider community
- Human resources with knowledge in the field of nanotechnology that have global competitiveness
- Improving the quality of performance and activities of PPNN ITB researchers
- Commercialization of research products through industrial cooperation
- Development of SMEs and fostered communities.